5 Ways to Begin Praying the Rosary (and as a family too)
- Just start praying it. Use this guide and give it try.
- Instead of starting by praying full decades of Hail Marys, start by praying a “full” Rosary except only pray 1 Hail Mary instead of 10 per decade. Then over time, add more Hail Marys until you are praying the full 10 per decade.
- Make a Rosary that you can eat as you pray.
- Use mini M&M’s for the 53 Hail Mary beads (and also for the beginning Our Father, Glory Be, and the Crucifix), and use a regular-sized blue (for Our Lady) M&M to mark the 5 decades. You can even say that the “M’s” on the M&M’s stand for Mary!
- In October, use candy corn for the 53 Hail Mary beads and candy pumpkins to mark the 5 decades.
- Make hot cocoa for each person praying. Make a rosary using mini-marshmallows for the 53 Hail Mary beads and take turns adding a marshmallow to your hot cocoa as you pray each Hail Mary.
- Use an app to pray the Rosary. There are many great smartphone apps to help you pray the rosary. Some include audio of each prayer or have the words for each prayer pop up when you tap the beads.
- Watch and pray with a video of the Rosary. Here is my favorite video of the rosary on youtube. It’s for the Joyful Mysteries, but there are videos for the other mysteries as well.
“The family that prays together stays together.” —Father Patrick Peyton
“If you desire peace in your hearts, in your homes, and in your country, assemble each evening to recite the Rosary. Let not even one day pass without praying it, no matter how burdened you may be with many cares and labors.” —Pope Pius XI
“To recite the Rosary is nothing other than to contemplate with Mary the face of Christ” —Saint Pope John Paul II